RE: 10GE CWDM

  • From: Robert Boyle
  • Date: Mon Sep 01 20:51:08 2008

At 12:03 AM 8/31/2008, you wrote:
Currently it is my understanding the 10 Gbps signals are carried on 4 x 2.5 Gbps signals that are compatible with existing CWDM and DWDM equipment. There are 40 Gbps DWDM systems and 10 Gbps lasers on 100 Gbps and greater capacity systems. I agree with Alex's comments that to have 10 Gbps on a CWDM system is to have a CWDM system of at least 40 to 100 Gbps and that is very expensive today.

The only affordable CWDM 10G system I have seen although I haven't used it yet is a single 10G band at 1310 or 1550 with 8 additional 2.5G bands around it. I haven't seen any 4 band 10G CWDM boxes with XFPs for less than $5000 yet, but I would expect them in the next year or two - I'm hoping anyway. I'm out of the country at the moment and access is a bit too slow to look it up easily now. If you need the manufacturer, let me know and I'll look it up when I return.

-Robert

Tellurian Networks - Global Hosting Solutions Since 1995
http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin