Re: Force10 Gear - Opinions

  • From: Greg VILLAIN
  • Date: Mon Sep 01 02:31:14 2008

On Aug 26, 2008, at 6:46 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

Another thing to note (as near as I can tell, this applies to all vendors). All line cards will function
only at the lowest common denominator line card CAM level.

IOW, if you have single, dual, and quad-cam cards in your F10 chassis, they'll all act like
single-CAM cards.

Owen

I'd have to second that. This is a very annoying fact, that you will find mentioned nowhere.
What I also used to dislike is the lack of verbosity of 'show features' - but that was back a year ago.
Btw, you absolutely want to avoid the S series, the CLI is a pain, and is not the same as the E or C series, and lacks many features.
Price/10G port is interesting though, but not as much as with Arastra, if that's switching you're into. (never tested any such kits though...)
My own 2 cents.

Greg VILLAIN