Re: Great Suggestion for the DNS problem...?

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Fri Aug 29 02:46:39 2008

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, Brian Dickson wrote:

However, if *AS-path* filtering is done based on IRR data, specifically on the as-sets of customers and customers' customers etc., then the attack *can* be prevented.

Yes, but I can't do this for everybody else. Doing AS-path and prefix filtering (matching that a certain prefix can only be announced by a certain AS) doesn't scale in IOS for instance.

We do prefix filtering for OUR customers, but there is no feasable way for me to do this for everybody else. I think this needs to be fixed, but it involves something new that isn't present today, and I think it needs to involve vendors because they need to produce new code to handle it.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]