Re: Revealed: The Internet's well known BGP behavior

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Thu Aug 28 08:01:42 2008

On Aug 28, 2008, at 6:25 AM, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

Most of the spammer acquired /16s have been

1. pre arin

2. caused by buying up assets of long defunct companies .. assets that
just happen to include a /16 nobody knew about

Not exactly hijacks this lot .. just like those "barely legal" teen mags.

There have been tons of spam runs I have seen from "hijacked" blocks were simply announcing an unused block or a de-agg of a used block, sending spam for a few minutes / hours / days, and stopping the announcement.

This does not require special techniques, just an upstream willing to accept & propagate your announcement. Alex & Anthony's preso is about intercepting legit traffic, not sending illegitimate traffic.

--
TTFN,
patrick