Re: Revealed: The Internet's well known BGP behavior

  • From: Eric Spaeth
  • Date: Thu Aug 28 02:41:31 2008

Jon Lewis wrote:
At 11:32 PM 27-08-08 -0500, John Lee wrote:

They didn't have control of any routers other than their own. What they had to find is a single clueless upstream ISP that would allow them to announce prefixes that didn't belong to them.

Clueless or big and inattentive? AFAIK, Level3 will accept anything from me...as long as I put it in one of the IRRs the day before I plan to announce it.

Working for a company that has been steadily growing through acquisition, we have actually run into this problem a couple times before. I'm not sure if we hit the lottery, but our upstream providers (including LVL3) have definitely intervened when we've moved netblocks from a company that doesn't match our name into our facilities to be advertised under our ASNs. I'm not sure how diligent or widespread the validation checks are, but at least on occasion they do occur.

-Eric