Re: BGP, ebgp-multihop and multiple peers

  • From: Truman Boyes
  • Date: Tue Aug 26 21:41:59 2008

Steve,

You ask a very good question because I have seen some providers embark on the multiple loopback approach for numerous reasons. I suggest a single loopback per routing-instance whenever possible. The cost savings in OSS and integration in routing configurations with a single repeatable block of configuration per peer/peer group is far more beneficial than some corner case technical benefit of having multiple loopback addresses.

I have been forced for other feature support to deploy multiple loopback interfaces, but have always opted to keep all EBGP peering with a single loopback interface per routing-instance.

Kind regards,
Truman