Re: It's Ars Tech's turn to bang the IPv4 exhaustion drum

  • From: Michael Thomas
  • Date: Tue Aug 19 13:26:01 2008

Justin M. Streiner wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008, [email protected] wrote:

I don't have a problem with assigning customers a /64 of v6
space.

Why so little? Normally customers get a /48 except for residential customers who can be given a /56 if you want to keep track of different block sizes. If ARIN will give you a /48 for every customer, then why be miserly with addresses?

I don't operate an ISP network (not anymore, anyway...). My customers are departments within my organization, so a /64 per department/VLAN is more sane/reasonable for my environment.

Uh, the lower 64 bits of an IP6 address aren't used for routing you know? They're essentially the mac address, or some other sort of autoconf'd host identifier. Last I heard, the smallest allocation is supposed to be a /48 -- I hadn't heard of the /56 thing that Michael was speaking of, though I'm not surprised. There's 64 bits for routing... no need to be so stingy :)

Mike