Re: RouterOS performance?

  • From: Stefan Bethke
  • Date: Tue Aug 19 12:35:27 2008

Am 19.08.2008 um 16:28 schrieb Robert E. Seastrom:

What I want to do is have a minimal functionality netbootable image
that is sufficient to set up network interfaces and then do:

ftp> get pfsense.img "| dd of=/dev/ad0"

and completely blow away what's on the flash and replace it with
something new[...]

There is pxe in the bios on the ALIX... perhaps you know of something
that's already pxebootable that will do this?

FreeBSD (or alike) will happily boot from PXE, either with NFS root or with an in-kernel RAM disk image. Booting a kernel directly (instead of via loader(8)) is not officially supported anymore, but the last time I tried (around 6.2) it was still working.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <[email protected]>   Fon +49 170 346 0140