Re: RouterOS performance?

  • From: Nathan Ward
  • Date: Tue Aug 19 07:54:40 2008

On 19/08/2008, at 11:32 PM, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:
Also, from time to time I have to reflash these to repurpose them
(NanoBSD vs. pfSense vs. AskoziaPBX).  It's a complete pain to
disassemble their enclosures so I can get at the CF cards.  I've often
thought that if someone had whipped up a memory-resident image of
something (anything, linux/bsd/whatever) that I could pxeboot, then I
could just dd the new image in over the net.  Haven't gotten around to
doing that yet.  Has anyone else?

My thing is memory resident, the kernel and root fs are all in one file. That's not exactly hard to do.
Not quite what you're looking for though, as config (including passwd etc.) isn't.
Wouldn't be difficult to change though.

Having said that, I strongly recommend getting your stuff to the point where it's a FAT formatted CF card, with a couple of files - 1 kernel, 1 filesystem image. Filesystem images are good.
That way, you can mount your CF card somewhere, and 'reflash' from a live system. Just like, for example, a Cisco router. Upgrades are easy, just copy a new root FS+kernel on there.

--
Nathan Ward