RE: SLAAC(autoconfig) vs DHCPv6 vs IP Address Lifecycle Management

  • From: John Lee
  • Date: Mon Aug 18 22:17:42 2008

Scott,

There are solutions that support both static, quasi-static, also driving DHCPv6 servers and Dynamic DNS updates. There are networks that have deployed IPal to automate and consolidate their IPv4 and IPv6 block allocations and interface assignments. Router Prefix delegation, SLAAC and DHCPv6 were implemented to have a more automated method of IPv6 address assignments because of the large potential number of IPv6 addresses to be assigned in a next generation network.

IPal does address block assignments for Prefix delegation, SLAAC and DHCPv6 support. It does IPv6 interface assignments of /64 EUI-64, /64 random, /126, /127 and /128 and generate the Dynamic DNS updates for those assignments.

E-mail me off list if you want any additional information.

John (ISDN) Lee