Re: It's Ars Tech's turn to bang the IPv4 exhaustion drum

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Mon Aug 18 19:47:16 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 08:57:27PM +0200, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> >operational content: Is anyone significantly redesigning the way they
> >route/etc to take advantage of any hooks that IPv6 provides-for (even if
> >its a proprietary implementation)? As far as I can tell, most people are
> >just implementing it as IPv4 with a lot of bits (i.e. /126s for link
> >interfaces, etc).
>
> Yes, there are those of us who want to save number of routes and
> "spending" IPv6 addresses to save on TCAM and convergence time.
>
> Using /112 for link networks to make the last octet ::1 and ::2 for links
> also makes sense from the human perspective.

Well, if y'all want a place to put this hints, I got a whole IPv6y
section over here:

	http://bestpractices.wikia.com

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
Designer                +-Internetworking------+---------+            RFC 2100

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me