RE: SLAAC(autoconfig) vs DHCPv6

  • From: TJ
  • Date: Mon Aug 18 16:41:18 2008

While I mostly agree, replace Dynamic DNS with "dynamic name resolution
services" (or, perhaps, a stable endpoint address) and I agree even more :).
Aside from static addresses, Dynamic DNS is one approach (currently the most
common).
	PNRP, LLMNR are other possible solutions (depending on the scope we
are talking about).

WRT the "stable endpoint" piece, tunneling can work here.
	Mobile IPv6, for example, starts off with my machine always being
reachable at the same address.
	Some tunnel providers also allocate stable addressing - i.e.
wherever I am in IPv4-land I still have the same IPv6 address.

>This was especially a question when L2 was "in" and routing was out: how do
>you ping a MAC address?

I prefer Layer 11 - the money :)
(8 = people, 9-politics, 10=religion, 11=money)

>Howard

/TJ