RE: SLAAC(autoconfig) vs DHCPv6

  • From: Howard C. Berkowitz
  • Date: Mon Aug 18 15:42:56 2008

To try to stay operational about this, I have a reality testing question
I've used in IPv4 and, for that matter, bridged networks:

If you want to test a resource, be it the end user or an infrastructure
interface, how do you know how to foo it (foo being some value of ping,
traceroute, look it up in SNMP/NetFlow, etc)?

I submit that if you use dynamic assignment of any sort, you really have to
have DNS dynamic update, so you can use a known name to query the function
that's indexed by address.  Otherwise, static addresses become rather
necessary if you want to check a resource.

This was especially a question when L2 was "in" and routing was out: how do
you ping a MAC address?

Howard