Re: RouterOS performance?

  • From: Joel Jaeggli
  • Date: Sun Aug 17 20:16:47 2008

William Pitcock wrote:
Hi,

We're looking at using Mikrotik's RouterOS for some some sort of
software routing solution as part of our network in combination with
supervised layer3 switching doing most likely some sort of limited BGP.

Does anyone else here run it? Is it any good? Is it better than e.g.
vyatta?

vyatta has some issues, but it's ok for a router optimizied linux distro...

If RouterOS and Vyatta both suck, is there any decent software routing
solution? Our network is small (4 /24s) and we only need to push roughly
1-2gbit at the moment.

Experiences with both would be appreciated. Thanks!

haven't used routeros in a while but at the time it was inoffensive, it's not derived from a general purpose system so it's not something you bolt additional bits on if you need them.

I actually use freebsd as a router on soekris, but I do need a general purpose os on the system as well.

William