Re: Is it time to abandon bogon prefix filters?

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Fri Aug 15 10:52:23 2008

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
Martians plus 1918 space, I'd say, though that requires knowing which
are border interfaces.

Whether you include or exclude rfc1918 addresses is another issue. Whack the martians first :-)

Unfortunately, enough ISPs use rfc1918 addresses on their backbone links
filtering rfc1918 also breaks traceroute (* * *) and people use rfc1918
internally enough that rfc1918 requires more professional thought about configuring those filters.

From an operational perspective, whacking martians has fewer caveats for
amateur network operators or default equipment configuration settings.

Other than that, I agree 100% -- bogon filters have little security
relevance for most sites.  Furthermore, as the allocated address space
increases, the percentage of actual bogon space decreases and the rate
of false positives -- packets that are rejected that shouldn't be --
will increase.  Security?  Remember that availability is a security
issue, too.

Violent agreement.