Re: Is it time to abandon bogon prefix filters?

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Fri Aug 15 09:35:26 2008

On Aug 15, 2008, at 9:26 AM, Randy Bush wrote:

In other words, our earlier estimate of 60% was way off...  you can
get 92.1% effectiveness at bogon filtering by just dropping 1918
addresses, a filter that you will never have to change.

my read is that the 60% was an alleged 60% of attacks came from *all* bogon space. this now seems in the low single digit percentge. of that, the majority is from 1918 space.

If (trying to reverse engineer this thread) previously 60% of all attacks
came from bogonspace, and now only 2.96% do, that does not mean that
if the bogon filters are removed, that number will stay at < 3 %. It may
just mean that the filtering is effective.

Regards
Marshall

randy