Re: Is it time to abandon bogon prefix filters?

  • From: Danny McPherson
  • Date: Fri Aug 15 00:10:25 2008

On Aug 6, 2008, at 9:01 AM, Randy Bush wrote:

serious curiosity:

what is the proportion of bad stuff coming from unallocated space vs
allocated space? real measurements, please. and are there longitudinal
data on this?

are the uw folk, gatech, vern, ... measuring?

Some data from our anonymous stats program (currently ~90 ISPs) included below. In short, ~3% of 727k attacks we've seen over the last 631 days employed bogon source addresses.

(definition of what constitutes "attack" is subjected to
reporting participant operational policy, but these are
primarily rate-based DDoS attacks)

-danny

---
General Statistics