Re: Public shaming list for ISPs announcing other ISPs IP space by mistake

  • From: brett watson
  • Date: Thu Aug 14 14:32:35 2008

On Aug 14, 2008, at 11:21 AM, David Freedman wrote:

but, why wouldn't something like formally requiring
customers/peers/transits/etc to have radb objects as a 'requirement'
for peering/customer bgp services

Step 1 : Enforce IRR for customers *now*.

Right, but I think the bigger issue is not just that "data is in the IRR" but rather "the data is there, and "some organization" has validated that 1) the "owner" is authentic, 2) they own the prefixes they entered, 3) they are authorized to originate the prefixes, and 4) the policies they entered are valid and agreed to by the other parties."

We have to be able to *trust* the data in the IRR, which I assume is one of the biggest impediments to being used by everyone: who's going to validate all that data and how will they do it?

-b