RE: Public shaming list for ISPs announcing other ISPs IP space bymistake

  • From: michael.dillon
  • Date: Thu Aug 14 14:14:00 2008

> I don't think the IRR is so much a hack (it's a tool), but
> we're lacking the process and infrastructure to vet/validate
> that a given ASN is *authorized* to originate a prefix, and
> all of the policy bits (which the IRR has if you use it)
> associated with which ASNs should propagate the prefix, etc...
>
> We're lacking the authority and delegation model that DNS
> has, I think?

ARIN holds the top of that authority and delegation hierarchy
because they give out the ASnums and IP address blocks. They
also operate a suggestion box here:
<http://www.arin.net/acsp/index.html>
click the yellow button that says "Submit a Suggestion".
There is a formal evaluation process behind that suggestion
box so if there is one or more specific actions that you
believe ARIN should take, then file a suggestion for each
separate action that you want them to do.

To everybody on the list, please do consider making formal
suggestions to ARIN.

--Michael Dillon