Re: Public shaming list for ISPs announcing other ISPs IP space by mistake

  • From: David Conrad
  • Date: Thu Aug 14 13:30:42 2008

On Aug 14, 2008, at 9:47 AM, brett watson wrote:
We're lacking the authority and delegation model that DNS has, I think?

If one were to ignore layer 9 politics, it could be argued the authority/delegation models between DNS and address space are quite analogous.

DNS:

IANA maintains "." ("dig @ns.iana.org . axfr") and delegates portions of the namespace to top-level domain registries
Top-level domain registries delegate parts of their namespaces to second-level domain registries (typically end users)

Address space:

IANA maintains the top-level address registry (http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space/ and http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-unicast-address- assignments) and delegates portions of the address space to RIRs.
RIRs delegate parts of their address space to LIRs/ISPs/end users.

Of course, ignoring layer 9 politics can be a bit challenging.

Regards,
-drc