Re: Coop Peering Fabric??

  • From: Paul Wall
  • Date: Tue Aug 12 16:48:21 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 8:32 AM, Patrick W. Gilmore <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tons of others exist, in big and little markets.  There's one in 365 Main
> SF, there's KleyReX in the same building as DE-CIX, Big APE in 111 8th, NYCx
> there too, ChicagoIX just opened, etc., etc.

Excellent point on Europe.

Not so much in the United States.  Do SFMIX, BIG APE, NYCX, etc 1)
have more than a half dozen participants 2) exchange any traffic other
than BGP keep-alives and ARP? :)  I think not.  When you look at why
not, it's usually always predatory practices on the part of various
collo and IX operators preventing widespread adoptation.  If CHIX were
doing real traffic, do you think Equinix would allow them to remain
accessible from their suites, and in a cost-effective manner?

> Trust me, it _is_ being done.

It's being done, just not on a large scale in the United States
outside of the SIX.

Paul