Re: Coop Peering Fabric??

  • From: David Diaz
  • Date: Tue Aug 12 10:23:52 2008

Yes you are absolutely correct. Smaller players doing this for fun and
experimentation if not only a good idea, I believe it is critical for the
internet to grow and change. Ask UUNET how long it takes them to get
approval to implement something big....or even small.
Two pts thought. First, the cross connects at most of these locations are
still going to be a major monthly INVESTMENT unless the colo provider gets
involved. As was stated earlier $500 MRC has to be justified be costs
savings or other benefits.
Second, I have heard a lot of talk about SIX over the last year or so and
there is no guarantees that situation won't change. Telx and others can do a
fine job. I have not heard Any2 mentioned and their traffic levels have been
very good while keeping ports cost effective. Can that model scale?

Basically it's about the community deciding to support something. Perhaps
it's more about the players then the best model. This business is still run
significantly on trust and reputation of the people running the
infrastructure. No?

David