Re: Why *can* cached DNS replies be overwritten?

  • From: Tony Finch
  • Date: Mon Aug 11 11:59:01 2008

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> Everyone seems to continue asking "why can poisoning overwrite already
> cached answer" and no one seems to be answering, and, unless I'm a
> moron (which is not impossible), that's the crux of this issue.

Add me to the list of baffled observers. As far as I can tell this
vulnerability to poisoning is mostly forbidden by the trustworthiness
ranking in RFC 2181.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <[email protected]>  http://dotat.at/
VIKING NORTH UTSIRE: SOUTHWEST 5 TO 7 BACKING SOUTHEAST 4 OR 5. ROUGH OR VERY