Re: maybe a dumb idea on how to fix the dns problems i don't know....

  • From: Chris Paul
  • Date: Sun Aug 10 18:10:37 2008

The question isn't whether to offer TCP/53 up at the recursive
server. The issue is that for you to use TCP/53 from your recursive
server, it has to be offered up at the authoritative end.

The authoritative server operators have to offer TCP/53 and the
firewall administrators between the recursive server and the
authoritative servers have to allow the traffic.

-rob
Yes. This is true. But with a caching resolver being used for most interactive clients (web surfers), this doesn't cause any problem, other than the initial caching.

OK I guess the question is this: How many milliseconds now on average does it take for my local dns server to obtain an address which is uncached using recursion up to the authoritative end using UDP
And I guess the second question is: How many milliseconds on average would it take for my local dns server to obtain an address which is uncached using recursion up to the authoritative end using TCP.

Once it is cached on my local caching server, its a non-issue if I am using some sort of persistent connection to my (non-authoritative) dns caching server.

CP
--
Chris Paul
Rex Consulting, Inc

material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of,
or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons
or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
Rex Consulting, Inc. is a California Corporation.

P Please don't print this e-mail, unless you really need to.