Re: Is it time to abandon bogon prefix filters?

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Thu Aug 07 18:16:27 2008

On Aug 7, 2008, at 5:35 PM, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:
Randy Bush <[email protected]> writes:

How much does it help to filter the bogons? In one study conducted by
Rob Thomas of a frequently attacked site, fully 60% of the naughty
packets were obvious bogons (e.g. 127.1.2.3, 0.5.4.3, etc.)

Stated another way, you can get 60% success on bogon filtering by ignoring the free pool

if 127.1.2.3 and 0.5.4.3 are in the free pool, we have a few more / 8s in
the bank then we thought, eh? :)

I guess I didn't really word that clearly.

My point was that by not including the free pool in your candidates
for filtering (i.e., only filtering out packets from addresses that
will never be allocated or are permanently reserved such as 1918
space), you're only sacrificing 40% of your likely hits...  and that
number is going down over time.  Why not just cut to the chase and
make a filter that will never go stale, take any possible lumps on the
bogus packet announcement side, and collect handsomely on the
operational side?

I guess I parsed that differently than you did. When he said "fully 60% of the naughty packets were obvious bogons", I read that as meaning 60% of all bad packets (bogon-sourced or otherwise) were from bogon space.

If my interpretation is correct, you cannot tell anything about which % was from permanently bad space vs. unallocated space.

Rob T., could you clarify for us please?

Also, filtering bogons has the same utility / dangers of MD5. Many people think MD5 is a "good thing", even though the amount of downtime caused by it is (at least) several orders of magnitude larger than the amount of downtime caused by successful RST attacks. I think the danger outweighs the benefit. If you are arguing the same thing here, that's fine with me. But let's find out what the danger is and make the decision. Oh, and then everyone should take their own advice and de-configure MD5. :-)

--
TTFN,
patrick