Re: Is it time to abandon bogon prefix filters?

  • From: Rob Thomas
  • Date: Wed Aug 06 14:36:51 2008

Hi, Skywing.

We've had a few DDoS attacks and lots of scans and hack attempts. Some of the DDoS attacks managed to wipe out our front-end. At no point were the route-servers impacted, since we keep them well away from our networks, widely distributed, and vigorously monitored (configs, responsiveness, advertisements).

Of course we're not perfect and there is no 100% solution, but we understand the implications of filtering gone awry (especially since we use it ourselves), and spend a lot of time and code keeping an eye on these things. Knowing that no one has a monopoly on imagination, we also have some friends at commercial pen-testers hit us regularly, just to be sure. :)

Thanks,
Rob.
--
Rob Thomas