Re: was bogon filters, now "Brief Segue on 1918"

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Wed Aug 06 12:46:39 2008

On Aug 6, 2008, at 12:36 PM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

Darden, Patrick S. wrote:
Most organizations that would be doing this would not randomly pick out subnets, if I understand you. They would randomly pick out a subnet, then they would sub-subnet that based on a scheme. I believe this is the intent of RFC 1918. Not to apply a random IP scheme, but to randomly pick a network from the appropriate sized Private Networking ranges, then apply a well thought out scheme to the section of IP addresses you chose.
E.g. 10.150.x.y/16 as their network. X could be physical positioning, and Y could be purposive in nature. 10.150.0.0 as basement, 10.150.1.0 as first floor, 10.150.2.0 as second floor, etc. 1-20 as switches/routers, 21-50 as servers and static workstations, 51-100 as printers, and 101--200 as DHCP scope for PCs, and 201-254 for remote login DHCP scope (vpn, dialup, etc.)
Yes, I think a large private network would work this way. RFC 1918 wants it to work this way (imho).

How much of 10/8 and 172.16/12 does an organization with ~80k employees, on 5 continents, with hundreds of extranet connections to partners and suppliers in addition to numerous aquistions and the occasional subsidiary who also use 10/8 and 172.16/12 use?

In my experience, effectively all of it.

Marshall

--p