Re: was bogon filters, now "Brief Segue on 1918"

  • From: Matthew Kaufman
  • Date: Wed Aug 06 10:48:11 2008

Darden, Patrick S. wrote:
Most private networks start at the bottom and work up: 192.168.0.X++,
10.0.0.X++, etc.  This makes
any internetworking (ptp, vpn, etc.) ridiculously difficult.  I've seen
a lot of hack jobs
using NAT to get around this.  Ugly.

Well, you can always do what one of the companies I work with does: allocate from 42.0.0.0/8 for networks that might need to interoperate with 1918 space and hope that it is "forever" before we run so low on IPv4 space that 42.0.0.0/8 needs to be taken out of reserved status.

How many more weeks is "forever" now?

Matthew Kaufman
[email protected]
http://www.matthew.at