Re: Hardware capture platforms

  • From: Warren Kumari
  • Date: Thu Jul 31 13:06:31 2008

On Jul 31, 2008, at 12:31 PM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 02:47:11PM -0400, Jon Kibler wrote:
Hubs are still available that are REAL hubs. I got 4 netgears about a
year ago and they are still available.

However, there is a problem with your specification: No hub (that I am
aware of) can do 1Gbps. All hubs are 10/100 AFAIK.

Ok, so I guess what I am speaking is not strictly a hub, it is a non- learning bridge (single collision domain per port, full duplex, etc).
There used to be a bunch of devices sold like this -- there were a few really cheap chipsets (AFAIR, Vitesse SparX VSCsomething was one of them -- basically a standard switch chipset that they shaved a few cents off because there was no learning logic / memory) that many people used in cheap "hubs"... I still have some of these somewhere and will rip the lid off to figure out exactly what it was so I can get some more...

And, note carefully: some "dual-speed hubs" are actually a 10BT hub and
a 100BT hub *with a switch between them*. I forget which brand I
caught this on, but it bit me a couple of years back.

Which speed cable you plug in determines which hub you're talking to.

I see your weird hub story and raise you one:

I went along to one of my wife's clients to help lug a printer up the stairs... We get it on the desk and I go to plug in the Ethernet port -- I follow some cables and find this small white switch jammed behind a photocopier -- I pull it out and it has, emblazoned in large red letters on the front, "10/100 Hub with Switch" -- this was back in the day when switches were still cool... I turn it around, and on the back there is... a switch, one side is marked "10M" and the other is marked "100M"... After I stopped laughing I tested it, and sure enough, its a standard hub, and you can make the ports either run at 10Mbps or 100Mbps by flipping the switch... I *really* wish I had replaced and kept it...

Yes, it's weird.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth Baylink [email protected]
Designer The Things I Think RFC 2100

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Josef Stalin)

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
-- J.R.R. Tolkien