Re: Great Suggestion for the DNS problem...?

  • From: Colin Alston
  • Date: Tue Jul 29 09:57:33 2008

Tony Finch wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, Colin Alston wrote:
In fact, why *don't* implementations discard authoritative responses
from non-authoritative hosts? Or do we? Or am I horribly wrong?

The response is spoofed so that it appears to come from the correct host.

There's an argument that IP spoofing can easily derail this, but I'd shift
that argument higher up the OSI, blame TCP, and move on to recommending SYN
cookies.

DNS uses UDP.

Ahh yes of course..

Why does it use UDP? :P