Re: Software router state of the art

  • From: Eugeniu Patrascu
  • Date: Tue Jul 29 03:39:19 2008

Aaron Glenn wrote:
On 7/28/08, Seth Mattinen <[email protected]> wrote:
Junpier's J-series is a BSD based platform as far as I understand it.
ImageStream is *much* more affordable for me, but is Linux-based, and I fear
...snip...

AFAIK, none of Juniper's Juniper kit rocks BSD outside of the
management interfaces and control plane (not even sure about the
latter, tbh).

someone feel free to correct me...
In the M/T series, control plan is handled by the RE, and the forwarding by the ASICs on each PIC.
in the J series, the control and forwarding plane are controlled by the RE, although the forwarding plane has a real time thread in the BSD kernel (or so Juniper says it does).