Great Suggestion for the DNS problem...?

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Mon Jul 28 15:06:02 2008

[ unthreaded to encourage discussion ]

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 04:55:23PM -0500, James Hess wrote:
> Nameservers could incorporate poison detection...
>
> Listen on 200 random fake ports (in addition to the true query ports);
> if a response ever arrives at a fake port, then it must be an attack,
> read the "identified" attack packet, log the attack event, mark the
> RRs mentioned in the packet as "poison being attempted" for 6 hours;
> for such domains always request and collect _two_ good responses
> (instead of one), with a 60 second timeout, before caching a lookup.
>
> The attacker must now guess nearly 64-bits in a short amount of time,
> to be successful. Once a good lookup is received, discard the normal
> TTL and hold the good answer cached and immutable, for 6 hours (_then_
> start decreasing the TTL normally).

Is there any reason which I'm too far down the food chain to see why
that's not a fantastic idea?  Or at least, something inspired by it?

Cheers,
-- jr 'IANAIE' a
--
Jay R. Ashworth                   Baylink                      [email protected]

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Josef Stalin)