Re: Software router state of the art

  • From: Charles Wyble
  • Date: Mon Jul 28 14:05:24 2008

Seth Mattinen wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
but knowing how bad Linux is at being a router and that their products are Linux-based, I'm afraid to give one a try. J products are based on a competing non-Linux platform that has a better reputation for routing.

Thanks for being oh-so-helpful with a serious question. Got any useful answers for me? Give me a vendor that offers your suggestion. I don't have time for a make-it-myself solution.

Hmmmm. Well then you probably don't want to use Linux/BSD as a router, as a substantial amount of DIY is required for anything beyond relatively simple routing. MPLS support (on Linux) for example is in early phases and requires integrating separate pieces and is best supported on Fedora9. Needless to say, Fedora isn't designed for reliable/stable operation and long term deployment.

I have yet to look into *BSD based solutions, but hear very good things about firewall performance. I don't know about BGP/OSPF/MPLS etc support on FreeBSD but am going to wager a guess its on par with Linux if not better.

To address another point made in this thread, see http://ols.fedoraproject.org/OLS/Reprints-2007/zhu-Reprint.pdf which addresses hardware multiqueue device support under Linux. Its from 2007. I think there was a question about Linux/multiqueue support in this thread, but I am not 100% sure. :)

I think there was mention of Vyatta earlier in the thread and some talk about it switching from Xorp to Quagga, and a supposition that should improve it.

-- Charles Wyble (818) 280 - 7059 http://charlesnw.blogspot.com CTO Known Element Enterprises / SoCal WiFI project