Re: So why don't US citizens get this?

  • From: Josh Cheney
  • Date: Mon Jul 28 13:39:32 2008

Jean-François Mezei wrote:
Does population density still REALLY matter ? Considering that fibre
optic cables have a far longer reach than  copper, and considering that
the utility poles already exist in less densely populated areas, it
would seem to me that fibre would be a superior alternative to copper,
especially when you consider the costs of setting up remotes all over
the place for copper.

And I would reckon that laying fibre along existing utility poles to reach 200 homes would cost far less than laying fibre in a concrete high rise appartment building to reach 200 appartments.

My understanding is that for a rural area, in a completely new rollout or a forklift upgrade, fiber is cheaper than copper. However, because the majority of the copper that is currently deployed is still highly serviceable, it is very difficult to justify tearing out perfectly good copper and laying out fiber in it's place.

-- Josh Cheney [email protected] http://www.joshcheney.com