Re: So why don't US citizens get this?

  • From: Jean-François Mezei
  • Date: Mon Jul 28 13:30:29 2008

Jorge Amodio wrote:

> I belive there are just few major cities in the US that have a comparable or
> higher
> concentration of people like other large cities around the world.

Does population density still REALLY matter ? Considering that fibre
optic cables have a far longer reach than  copper, and considering that
the utility poles already exist in less densely populated areas, it
would seem to me that fibre would be a superior alternative to copper,
especially when you consider the costs of setting up remotes all over
the place for copper.

And I would reckon that laying fibre along existing utility poles to
reach 200 homes would cost far less than laying fibre in a concrete high
rise appartment building to reach 200 appartments.

The way I view it, telco accountants have build *excuses* to not lay
fibre instead of finding ways to justify laying it.