RE: So why don't US citizens get this?

  • From: Rod Beck
  • Date: Mon Jul 28 10:19:40 2008

Well, to be exact, there was the political will to get the job done and a more pragmatic approach than we see today in the States.

The interstate highway was created by the Federal goverment, not the private sector. And although the difficulties in moving troops in WWII was an issue, everyone recognized that a great nation requires a modern transportation. Similarly, one does not need a car in France - there is a seamless tram, metro, regional railroad, intercity and international train system. Political will, not private enterprise.

The Europeans took a more pragmatic to broadband whereas the Yanks (and I am one) got bogged down into ideological battles over private property, etc.

The Asians were also pragmatic. Asian governments told the private sector (incumbents) that they had moral obligation to provide broadband and they did it.

Regards,

Roderick S. Beck
Director of European Sales
Hibernia Atlantic
13-15, rue Sedaine, 75011 Paris
http://www.hiberniaatlantic.com
Wireless: 1-212-444-8829.
French Wireless: 33-6-14-33-48-97.
AOL Messenger: GlobalBandwidth
[email protected]
[email protected]
``Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.'' Albert Einstein.