Re: So why don't US citizens get this?

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Mon Jul 28 08:24:14 2008

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, Jorge Amodio wrote:

The US is so spread out that anything to do with transportation, being people, packages, or ip packets becomes quite costly.

Well then, let's take Sweden:

total: 449,964 sq km

This is slightly larger than california. We're 9 million.

I think at least 90% of Swedish households have access to at least ADSL 2M/1M, and 95% of households have access to 384kbit/s UMTS mobile wireless.

ADSL 24M/1M is around USD50 per month, and should be available to a majority of households that live within technical range of COs. 100/10M ETTH is cheaper than ADSL 24M/1M and is available to somewhere around 10-15% of households. Wierdly 100/10M ETTH is more common in the smaller cities because of need of competitive advantage, so more money is spent my real estate owners there to make sure broadband is available.

So, we're 9 million, Californa is what, 60million, on the same surface area. Is there any reason why california, in itself one of the largest economies in the world, seems to have problems delivering anything close to broadband to its inhabitants? So yes, the US must have structural problems here...

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]