Re: So why don't US citizens get this?

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Sun Jul 27 22:39:30 2008

[Sorry to bring this back towards the topic at hand, but....]

On Jul 26, 2008, at 7:38 PM, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008, [email protected] wrote:

	that said, can I get FIOS w/o any other
	Verizon crap?  I just want the fiber transport
	to an exchange... want my own ISP/peering, not
	theirs.  They wont sell it.

Anyone find a 'Commodity' seller of IP connectivity that will provide that ?I haven't in a Number of years now .
Imo , it appears to be company cowardice . But then again alot can go wrong even if you filter correctly .
But I'd really like to find a provider that 'Can' . Just like the little train .

First, I should say that I am not defending VZ or any other company.

However, I don't think it's fair to claim VZ sells FIOS and therefore should also sell dark. The two items are vastly different services. I seriously doubt "cowardice" is stopping VZ from giving bill fiber. Hell, they'd likely make a LOT more money off selling him dark than selling him FIOS.

There are lots of providers in major metros (where I know bill lives) that sell things like 10 Mbps point-to-point circuits. But dark fiber is frequently hard to come by even between two telco hotels in the same city. Asking for dark fiber from $RANDOM_HOUSE to, well, anywhere, that's going to be just a little out of the ordinary.

So if you want to complain about something, complain about something reasonable. Lord knows the telecos have given us enough targets.

--
TTFN,
patrick