Re: Software router state of the art

  • From: Colin Alston
  • Date: Sat Jul 26 07:12:13 2008

On 2008/07/26 01:05 PM Adrian Chadd wrote:
On Sat, Jul 26, 2008, Florian Weimer wrote:
Traditionally, software routing performance on hosts systems has been
optimized for few and rather long flows.

Yup.

And I always ask that question when people claim really high(!) throughput on
software forwarding. It turns out their throughput was single source/single
dest, and/or large packets (so high throughput, but low pps.)

I assume though that all of this is on x86 platform hardware. How does this compare to Linux or FreeBSD running on something else like the Cavium Octeon and other 64bit MIPS based processors?