Federal Government Interest in your patch progress

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Fri Jul 25 11:27:19 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 09:59:35AM -0500, Jorge Amodio wrote:

> >        Regarding Bubba, he won't likely move until there is a real problem,
> > this makes it on CNN, and even then, he may not understand what is going
> > on.  That win2k server in the corner never got updated.  But when he
> > realizes
> > his business is at risk due to the buggy software, our pal Bubba will
> > eventually upgrade.
>

> [sarcasm]
> It won't take too long until the three lettered news outfits declare the
> demise of the internet, Angelina already had the twins, Obama convinced the
> Germans to vote for him, McCain didn't win bingo night, and Dolly didn't
> sunk the state of Texas under water, so there are no really exciting news to
> report, sooner or later they will fish what is being discussed and make up
> something  to fill the void.
>
> I'd leave the "Bubba in chief" and his associates out of the loop, if they
> see the word "poisoned" they will decimate the entire DNS infrastructure and
> later send Paul Vixie to explain to Congress why is a good idea to go back
> to the HOSTS.TXT, charge 5 bucks for each download (price dependant on the
> actual barrel of oil) and return to punch cards (made by Halliburton) ...
> [/sarcasm]

	So, you say that(sarcasm).  I just got off a 45 minute call where the US
Federal government is interested in how to effectively communicate to the
infrastructure operators the importance and risks of not upgrading the
resolvers.

	They wanted someone to apporach those NANOG guys to see if they'll get
off their butts and upgrade.  Personally, I share some of their frustration
in getting the reasonable people to upgrade their software, knowing that
the unreasonable folks won't.  The question is how can we as an interdependent
industry close the gaps of the "Bubba" SPs and their software upgrade
policies?

	That being said, is there anyone keeping metrics of what upgrades have been
done so far?

	- Jared