Re: Paul Vixie: Re: [dns-operations] DNS issue accidentally leaked?

  • From: Valdis . Kletnieks
  • Date: Thu Jul 24 20:39:13 2008

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 17:31:01 EDT, "Jay R. Ashworth" said:

> But it seems to me that Paul, you are here espousing the opinion that
> there's no business value in people being able to trust that the domain
> name they heard on a TV ad and typed into a browser (let's ignore phishing
> for the moment) actually takes them to E-Trade, and not RBN.

The problem is that the business value, in general, accrues to the wrong
people.

It's useful and valuable for the *end user* and for *E-Trade* to be able to be
sure they didn't go to RBN. The problem is that Joe Sixpack points his
resolver stub at "Bubba's Bait, Tackle, and Internet Emporium ISP", and it's
Bubba that has to fix stuff.

And Bubba doesn't have a clear way to make money off the fixing - there's no
way Bubba can explain to Joe that Bubba is more secure than the *other* bait,
tackle, and DSL reseller in town, because Joe can't understand the problem....

It doesn't help that apparently there's some multi-billion-dollar Bubbas out there.