Re: Paul Vixie: Re: [dns-operations] DNS issue accidentally leaked?

  • From: Jason Frisvold
  • Date: Thu Jul 24 16:58:50 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Paul Vixie <[email protected]> wrote:
> in spite of that caution i am telling you all, patch, and patch now.  if you
> have firewall or NAT configs that prevent it, then redo your topology -- NOW.
> and make sure your NAT isn't derandomizing your port numbers on the way out.
>
> and if you have time after that, write a letter to your congressman about the
> importance of DNSSEC, which sucks green weenies, and is a decade late, and
> which has no business model, but which the internet absolutely dearly needs.

So is this patch a "true" fix or just a temporary fix until further
work can be done on the problem?  I listened to Dan's initial
presentation and I've read a lot of speculation since then.  I've also
taken a look at the various blog entries that detail the problem.  I
believe I understand what the issue is and I can see how additional
randomization helps.  But it that truly an end-all fix, or is this
just the initial cry to stop short-term hijacking?

--
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold
[email protected]