Re: Exploit for DNS Cache Poisoning - RELEASED

  • From: David Conrad
  • Date: Wed Jul 23 19:00:53 2008

Hi,

On Jul 23, 2008, at 3:51 PM, Robert D. Scott wrote:
Actually you are not missing anything. It is a brute force attack.

I haven't looked at the exploit code, but the vulnerability Kaminsky found is a bit more than a brute force attack. As has been pointed out in various venues, it takes advantage of a couple of flaws in the DNS architecture. No, not simply the fact that the QID space is only 16 bits. That's part of it, but there is more. Really. I'm sure you can find the 'leaked' Matasano Chargen description of the attack on the net somewhere.

But other than just muck things up where is the motivation for a poisoning?

Man-in-the-middle attacks directed at ISPs serving end users who want to (say) get to their banks?

Regards,
-drc