Re: Software router state of the art

  • From: Jeffrey Ollie
  • Date: Wed Jul 23 15:50:50 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Adrian Chadd <[email protected]> wrote:

> Various FreeBSD related guys are working on parallelising the forwarding
> layer enough to use the multiple tx/rx queues in some chipsets such as the
> Intel gig/10ge stuff.
>
> Linux apparently is/has headed down this path.

I've seen some notes from Dave Miller about adding multiple TX queues
to the 2.6.27 kernel.  See Dave's blog for the gory details:

http://vger.kernel.org/~davem/cgi-bin/blog.cgi
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/davem/net-tx-2.6.git;a=summary

AFAIK he hasn't made any claims about performance improvements.  I
don't know the state of RX queues in Linux.

Jeff