Re: Software router state of the art

  • From: Wes Young
  • Date: Wed Jul 23 15:05:41 2008

We use them here and there (the 1Gig versions). The biggest thing to think about is the types of rule-sets you'll be using compounded by the number of flows being created / expired. Once tuned, they work quite well, but the balance is how fast you can pull/analyze out of RAM. Compiling the rules down to the card's level speeds things up a bit, but at the loss of using more dynamic rulesets.

If you can get the raw data to some sort of larger medium (say, rotating pcaps on a disk), you length the buffer-window. FWIW however, probably the best way to scale this is get an Xport fiber regen tap, populate with a few of these, tune them to monitor different segments based on address space or port ranges. You'll have yourself a relatively cheap solution, but extremely effective solution.

I've yet to test out the NinjaProbes... It's on my todo list...