Re: Cisco vs Adtran vs Juniper

  • From: Matthew Elmore
  • Date: Mon Jul 21 09:19:54 2008

On Jul 18, 2008, at 10:49 AM, Eric Van Tol wrote:

I'm looking for some constructive feedback on **real world**
experiences
please...

We're split pretty evenly between Cisco and Juniper boxes and are happy with both. It all really depends on the services you want to sell or support for your customers, as each box can do different things.

I've been using both these boxes for a while, the SSGs in particular, so I'll chime in.

Eric is right, the WebUI for ScreenOS is not very good, but it's far better than any of the interfaces I've seen on any other security devices. It has its quirks, but it does get the job done.

I have no complaints about the SSG hardware, you get decent port density across the line and 90% of the functionality you will want is there out of the box with no additional licensing required (stateful firewall, IPSec, all routing protocols, etc). Don't bother with the Antivirus and Antispam on ScreenOS, it sucks and Juniper knows it. The web filtering works pretty well, though.

They're very flexible with regards to interoperability with other vendors (even Cisco). I've connected one to just about every vendor imaginable and there is always a way to make it work.

If you're looking for a cheap router/firewall/VPN box, then the SSGs from Juniper are the way to go right now. JunOS Enhanced Services could make our lives even better too...

Both Cisco and Juniper offer great options for this. CPE from both is typically very solid. Juniper has the added benefit of being able to convert their J-series boxes to Netscreen SSG firewalls and the cards are interchangeable between the security/J-series platforms. Of course, this does cost you in license fees. NAT on the J-series is a pain to set up and unfortunately, the default 256M flash on them is just too small to support an easy JUNOS upgrade.

What he said -- with the J series you get JunOS and now JunOS Enhanced Services, so you get a full-fledged firewall as well. No need to convert them to ScreenOS (unless you need a feature that hasn't been ported from ScreenOS to JunOS ES yet). The only thing I really don't like in the J series is the lack of a non rack mount form factor. A lot of small and branch offices don't necessarily have racks and it can be cumbersome to convince someone they need a 19" wide noisebox to be their router.

More on JunOS ES:
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos-es/

Regards,