Re: GBIC compatibility and pricing (was Managed, cheap, DC power switches)

  • From: Hyunseog Ryu
  • Date: Thu Jul 17 19:52:45 2008

I think this vendor-supported SFP was big issue from HP ethernet switch
since it was appeared from HP ethernet switch firmware upgrade without
much attention.
It should be standard, so it shouldn't matter which vender's SFP is.
But since HP decided to stick with their own SFP, some third party
vendor starts to ask for which vendor's equipment to be used with SFP,
and they programmed firmware to simulate specific vendor's SFP by
placing vendor code or something like that.

Sometimes when I ordered specific vendor's Part Number for SFP from
specific vendor's reseller, still it is delivered with third party
vendor's SFP.
I don't know whether reseller is making money because of price
difference, or not.

Hyun