Re: Avg. Packet Size - Again?

  • From: Fred Baker
  • Date: Wed Jul 16 11:25:15 2008

CAIDA has been doing a lot of that, at least in the past. Last I asked them, which was quite a while back, they said that O(35%) of traffic in their samples was at the path MTU (which included 576 bytes for historical reasons), O(40%) was about the size of a TCP SYN or ACK, for reasons that are apparent if you think about common TCP implementations, and sizes were scattered more or less uniformly in between - last packet in a burst or transaction exchanges. From the numbers that Valdis posted the other day, it sounds like the logic remains about the same but the relevance of "576" has largely gone away.