Re: Building a BGP test network

  • From: Richard Mortier
  • Date: Fri Jul 11 14:51:39 2008

On 9 Jul 2008, at 18:49, William Waites wrote:

Le 08-07-09 à 19:36, Ariel Biener a écrit :

I have been pondering over this issue for some time now (not too much
time to invest on it), since I wanted to created a duplicate model of our
production network in a test environment, not connected to any outside
network (thus cannot peer, same problem as described here).

What about http://ipmon.sprint.com/pyrt/ ?

It doesn't do everything being designed for the reverse problem -- pulling routes from a live BGP network for analysis. But it does include a BGP speaker and the ability to read and write MRTD files. I imagine with relatively little work it could be coaxed to read an MRTD dump and send the entries to a test peer.

hi;

as the author of pyrt, i'd just like to say that extending it to act as a bgp speaker able to read an MRTD file in and push it out down a peering as a series of updates ought indeed to be straightforward. it used to be able to read routeviews and ris BGP update and rib dumps ca. 2001/2002 as i used them for testing before we got the live feeds from sprintlink setup; it's possible that new attributes and suchlike might mean that it has problems with current dumps, but that ought to be similarly easy to fix. let me know if you run into any problems with pyrt and i'll see what i can do to help!

(i'm just pleased that someone might still want to use the code :)

Cheers,
-- Richard Mortier
Technical Director, Vipadia Ltd.,
Systems and networking consulting, integration and development; voice and video messaging on IP
[email protected]