Re: Building a BGP test network

  • From: Fouant, Stefan
  • Date: Wed Jul 09 11:29:11 2008

The problem with the Adtech and the Router Tester and other similar routing protocol generation tools is while they are good at generating a lot of routes and helping to test routing protocol scalability, they usually just send the routes in the configured range in a contiguous, non-randomized fashion, with uniform prefix-masks, etc. This is very friendly to most typical radix-tree implementations, so if you want to test something like routing protocol convergence, you'll want something that can randomize the routes as much as possible.  There are certainly tools out there that that can play back route tables, including one very commonly used proprietary tool created and used internally by one of the *big* vendors for testing their routers. If you do a bit of digging you should be able to find it.

HTHs.

Stefan Fouant
Principal Network Engineer
NeuStar, Inc. - http://www.neustar.biz